Brushing your teeth properly at least twice a day helps prevent tooth decay and gum disease. Proper brushing is essential for cleaning teeth and gums effectively. Use a toothbrush with soft, nylon, round-ended bristles that will not scratch and irritate teeth or damage gums.
Here are tips to proper brushing:
- Brush your teeth for two to three minutes
- Avoid hard scrubbing
- Hold your toothbrush at a 45-degree angle and gently brush in short strokes from where the tooth and gum meet to the top of the tooth
- Brush all outside and inside surfaces
- Clean the pits and crevices on the chewing surface of your teeth with short sweeping strokes
- Brush your tongue to remove bacteria and freshen your breath